Hip Hop in S.A seems like it’s going to remain in S.A



Vernac in local hip hop seems to be a sensitive subject. I personally enjoy it but my only problem is that worldwide even continentally vernac is very limiting and doesn’t appealing to all.
Just the other day I was having a chat about local hip hop to an Australian friend of mine, and he told me that he’d play artists like Pro, HHP and Teargas to his Australian and some American friends and they woldnt get their music, because the content is foreign to them.
On HHP latest album he has a track featuring Nas where he raps mostly in vernac. Again my only problem is the restriction, with an opportunity like that he could of dropped a hot “english” verse, that could possibly open doors for him in the American music industry, but now the track is restricted to those that understand his vernac.
If your dream as a rapper is to blow up worldwide, possibly be the next Drake and put South Africa on the map, the way he put Canada then you have to know that the chances of Jay-z or even Birdman signing a Zulu or Tswana rapper are low.
Don’t get me twisted I’m not saying don’t rap in vernac, I’m just stating that if your dreams are to be the be the next big rapper in the world then you have to make music that the whole world will be able to listen to and enjoy.


*The game needs change and I’m the muthafuckn Cashier*

No comments:

Post a Comment